Snapchat is one of those social media platforms that Millennials will most likely get straight away, or you will watch what happens with videos and photos with those on your friends list and still be scratching your head about it’s function and use.
Snapchat, for those that don’t know it’s existence (which is most likely older generation X and the Baby Boomers) is a social media app (don’t we have ENOUGH of those ALREADY???) that allows you to produce a photo or video that displays to users on your friends list for up to 10 seconds. These video’s and photos can also have text, emoji’s or photo filters applied to them before submitting them. These photo’s or video will disappear after a friend has viewed them and if you submit them to your ‘story’ board, they disappear after 24 hours.
On this list below I show what I have learned about using Snapchat so far.
1. It’s not just for young in lust adults to send each other picks of willy’s and boobs.
2. Its fun.
3. It makes you to creative for shooting video as you only have up to 10 second snippets at a time.
4. Emoji’s that move in a video, woo.
5. You can apply a black and white filter to video or photo’s.
6. Show a speed you are traveling at (please do not use the app whilst driving!)
7. Show the temperature.
8. Display the current time.
9. Display your location.
10. Display a specific Geofilter. A geofilter is a purchased filter displaying a business name when you enter a specific location (extremely useful for conventions and exhibitions)
11. Slow down your video.
12. speed up your video.
13. Type up to 140 characters of text onto a photo or video.
15. draw text in colour on screen.
16. Post from hundred’s of emoji’s and put them on a photo or video.
17. Fun face filters.
18 Add new friends by using special ‘Snapchat photo’s with a unique code.
19. Add friends from username or your own phone address book.
20. Share your username to dozens of platforms.
21. Add a user of those in close proximity.
22. Take Selfies.
23. Show lenses on your photos or videos. Lenses are where you hold your finger for a second or two on the screen showing your face and different lens filters appear.
24. View your Snapchat ‘score’ which is a combination of views of your snaps, viewing other people’s snaps and submitting snaps to stories, allegedly.
25. It’s fun.
26. When you and a friend have snapped each other within a 24 period, you start a snap streak, you must continue to snap each other within each 24 hours to continue the streak.
27. You can delete or block friends on your friends list.
28. You can text chat, video chat and send text or video messages for later consumption with your friends.
29. You can send individual friends a photo from your saved photos on your device.
30. You can submit to live stories. This is like sending photos and videos to ‘My Story’, but Live stories are curated by Snapchat. So you may be able to submit to special snapchat live story locations and/or special events.
31. You can stack multiple filters.
32. You can contribute to community filters.
33. You can create personal filters which last for up to 30 days.
34. You can create special ad or event filters for your business (see Snapchat guidelines here)
35. It’s fun.
36. Its available on iOS and Android devices.
37. You can login on a desktop at www.snapchat.com and download your snapcode.
38. You can read articles about people using Snapchat.
39. You can watch YouTube video about people showing you how to use SnapChat.
40. You can send cash (electronically) to other users on your friends list via Snapchat.
41. You can earn trophies on Snapchat.
42. Travel mode under settings allows you to use less mobile data.
43.Customise your ‘friend’ list emojis.
44. works with external clip on lens (wide view, fisheye, etc)
45. The Snapchat blog makes for fascinating reading.
46. Marketers, especially digital marketers will ruin SnapChat for everyone else, ask Gary Vaynerchuck.
47. Ghostcodes allows you to find other Snapchatters via discovery, interest or categories.
48. You can use a picture of your snapcode on other social media.
49. It’s FREE.
50. It’s fun.
Feel free to add me on Snapchat and send me a message that you found me via this post!